Monday, January 20, 2003

So, this is what happens when I get left with an amount of free time. I drag out the video camera and start watching videos of my high school marching band. I have a recording of all four shows, thanks to my dad. And then I get all teary-eyed, and sad. And depressed. Why?

Because I loved marching band. Because I loved high school. Because I miss my friends, and free weekends, and late night AIM conversations, and swimming in Scotty's pool, and ... marching band. Why am I such a dork?

I can't wait until my sister is in marching band, so that I can be a "band mom." I will have an excuse to be at competitions and help hand out snacks and cold water, and of course, just be there!

Should this go on Remember When? ? I mean, Remember When? we were in marching band? And we stuck together and road the bus and got in trouble and froze our asses off at competitions and sweated our asses off in the summer? Remember water fights and swimming parties and squirt bottles and singing at the top of your lungs on the way home while people try to sleep?

Those were some of the best days of my entire life.

Remember When? everyone you were close to lived in Evansville? You could just call them up or drive to their house and be there in less than 15 minutes. How did we let that get by us so fast?
I mean, we never even had a chance. You just live it, and although you sometimes analyze it all, you don't stop and think, 'Geez, this is going to be over soon, and I'm going to miss it like hell.'

I feel like what I do now, compared to what I was doing back then, is worthless. I mean, I have good times now - wonderful times even - but they our incomparable to those good times. It's like I said to Ryan, if we had only realized what we had in high school. You have the world! You can have and do and say anything you want! You can be anything you want! Your options are limitless! And, to top it all off, school was a BREEZE compared to now.

If we had only known....

No comments: