Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I would like to share with you the highlight of my day:

My dinner.

I had oven-roasted pork loin, flavored with cherry chipolte sauce, sided by fresh, steamed broccoli and homemade au gratin potatoes.

My mom made it all.

For dessert, I heated up homemade chocolate chip cookies, topped them with vanilla Haagen-Dazs ice cream, and smothered it in chocolate syrup and carmel sauce.

Yea. I had it good today. No complaints.

---
I'm adding to this entry because I have a complaint, and it's getting personal..
(this is based on my present experience and the final episodes of The Real World, San Diego which I'm just seeing tonight because I missed them earlier...but, anyway, here's some food for thought...yes I know it seems ridiculous but keep reading and I promise to make a valid point)

So, I'm watching the episode where Frankie goes home from the show. She's unhappy where she is and misses her family, her boyfriend, her home, ect. She decides to leave the show, and her roommates are supportive at first..."You have to make your own decision, this is up to you and if you're not happy then you should do what you gotta do."...but then after she leaves (and technically on the day she's leaving, too), they sit around and whisper and talk about how she was just doing it for her boyfriend. How ridiculous it was that she left the show over a boy.

Ok, so, here's the thing: there's a difference in giving up a part of yourself, your dreams, your goals; and making a CHOICE to change your path in life, assuming that your main goals and objectives are still ahead of you, because you love someone or because the present state of your life is causing you unhappiness. If another path looks better, and it involves someone you love and care about, isn't it worth it to make a change, regardless of the risk it involves? Yea, I'm getting all Shakespeare, movie-esque, tear-jerking drama, love that you only hear about and rarely see- or BELIEVE in. But people do fall in love and live happily ever after, and that's not all there is to it, but why do the other cast members have to be so critical of her for leaving? If she loves this guy, and being away from him makes her unhappy and she wants to leave, who gives a shit? It's her life and she has to do what's best for her. Frankie is right when she says that she's faced this challenge and taken from it what she needed. She's done.

So to sum things up, I'd like to just say that as dramatic and surreal as it sounds, life is about taking risks and not playing it safe CONSTANTLY. Be happy if you can, make a choice that's going to cause you to enjoy your life more. This is all you have. You have to do what makes you happy, as long as you do it for yourself.

But then, what about for someone else, too? What about for both of you? What about for love? What about because you CAN not because you shouldn't or should? What about because you want to?

So, that's my rant, based on Frankie leaving the Real World show. Because, I want people to know what I'm thinking. Regardless of what they *think* is the actual situation, this is what I'm thinking.

No comments: